Writing about My experiences
Today I wish to share with you what has gone on in my life since 2007. As boring of a story this may be it will tell you my own struggles and the courage I had to do all that I endured. If this post is too long I do apologize as I write from the thoughts rolling around in my head.
2007- For 12 Years I worked in my own Barber Shop and five of those 12 I actually owned and operated it. Yes, a female Barber is my forte’__that does not mean I cannot do women’s hair, I just don’t prefer it. My family and friends tell me how good I am at it but after 20 years of doing it I got burnt out. So what did I do?
IN MAY of 2007 I closed the shop and went to college to become a Paralegal. See, I got married in 1992 and had my baby girl in 1994 and now she is 17 and I am 45. So, I raised my daughter as a single mom as her day decided he “fell out of love” with me when she was 1.5. So, he had a baby with another woman as I found out, he left her and now is married again to another (SUCKER). He has been for 12 years and has another son about 11 or 12. Oh who cares! So, after I raised my daughter and got sick of cutting hair industry I went to college to become a Paralegal. Yes, I worked three jobs and raised my daughter and that is another story for another day. But, I moved in and out of my apartment and in and out of another apt by 2010…at that point…lost my job doing Security and got evicted for nonpayment and had nowhere to go.
So, I used tough love and moved my daughter into my ex husbands brother and wife’s house so she could be raised in a better environment and finish High School where I originally raised her with her friends. I had to do it because when I got my five day notice to evict, I had to donate all of my belongings and stuff that I could not fit into a storage unit and that was 40 years worth of furnishings and things that I treasured. I had nowhere to go and 300.00. I put my life in a storage unit and packed clothes and went to a town far away and got a motel…(roach motel). More like spiders and centipedes!!
Mind you I had two cats that a friend took for me and later I got them and paid him for taking them for a couple of months. They are my life and treasures. They sure missed their momma! It was horrible.
Then after three months and three days I was able to afford an (roach apartment) nearby and it was 200.00 cheaper! With little work and 600.00 rent I made it work for two years. In those two years, I moved out of the motel, moved into the apt, then they remodeled it and I had to move in and out of that one into another one…then six months later I am in a HOUSE, only because I rent from my sister. It is a basement but I am living. If you want to call it that. I have to say I am a “moving expert.” I can also say the stress has me in a bit of depression I am being treated for.
Today I am blessed with a new job and new beginnings for a Security Company that I pray the Lord give me a promotion as I deserve it.
So, I did hair: got burnt out
THEN got a Degree in 2009 as a Paralegal and although I love it – no work to be found.
THEN now I stay with Security because I love it and get the respect I so deserve. Although, The rumors say we do nothing, if they only knew! I blow them off because, I know what I know and they are just jealous that they don’t have the job I have doing Security. Here are the coursed I have taken:
Associates of Applied Science Paralegal
Certifications: Dean’s List and President’s List all semesters
JOB-RELATED CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES:
Illinois Paralegal Association
State of Illinois License Notary
New Law Certified for Real Estate
Contracts, Bankruptcy, Probate
Family Law, Evidence
Civil Litigation I & II
Software Applications in Microsoft Office Suite
JOB-RELATED CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES:
I took all of these courses:
CPR and AED First Aid and Certified 2011
- Booldborn Pathogens
- Cultural Diversity
- Cultural Sensitivity
- Effective Communication
- Gang awareness and training
- Intro to shopping center business
- Liability and Legal Aspects
- Observation and documentation
- Organized retail Crime
- Outstanding customer service
- Patrol Techniques
- Public relations
- Radio Procedures
- Report writing
- Segway training
- Sexual Harassment
- Use of Force
- Work Place Violence
- How to handcuff patrons
- Learned lock down
- Ten Codes
- Other codes
- Report suspicious activities and watch for criminal acts or rule infractions at or near assigned post(s) which may be a threat to the property, client or employees at the site.
- Report all incidents, accidents, or medical emergencies as required. Respond to emergencies, such as medical and bomb threats; and to alarms, such as fire and intrusion by following emergency response proceedings.
- Monitor and authorize entrance and departure of employees, visitors, and other persons to guard against theft and maintain security of premises.
- Write reports of daily activities and irregularities such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, or unusual occurrences.
- Answer alarms and investigate disturbances.
- Circulate among visitors, patrons, or employees to preserve order and protect property.
- Patrol industrial or commercial premises to prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensure security of doors, windows, and gates.
- Escort or drive motor vehicle to transport individuals to specified locations or to provide personal protection.
- Operate detecting devices to screen individuals and prevent passage of prohibited articles into restricted areas.
- Answer telephone calls to take messages, answer questions, and provide information during non-business hours or when switchboard is closed.
- Warn persons of rule infractions or violations, and verbally evict violators from premises.
With all that said and out in the open I will close for today. Comments welcome.